The Members formally convene two times per year, spring and fall, for a two-day interactive session. Participants identify the issues they want to explore and the experts they want to hear from. A typical two-day Roundtable seminar will feature 3-5 speakers (outside speakers and/or Members themselves) making presentations on recent trends and innovative projects.
Issues may include topics such as:
- Organization of legal department and the interactive relationship with the compliance department?
- Bundled payments, payers, and shared savings, and trying to figure out how on earth to pay physicians incentive comp? – Has anyone made further developments in possible solutions since our last meeting?
- Physician Compensation Developments?
- Physicians on-call rates – should we adjust our FMV rate downward to reflect this double-payment of the FMV rate to the on-call physicians?
- Current litigation trends and best practices managing cases & claims?
- Cybersecurity, ransomware attempts, phishing increasing – What kinds of education do you provide? Double authentication? Remote access? Mobile devices? Any new ideas on how best to secure and protect PHI?
- How do you deal with employed physicians who disclose on conflict of interest surveys that they are paid by pharma and device vendors? – For those physicians whose activities are approved, do you require them to disclose to patients their financial/ownership relationship with pharmaceutical and/or surgical device vendors?
- Current efforts and approaches in enterprise risk management and legal’s role in ERM?
- Regarding WRVU Physician compensation models, should we calculate WRVUs based on what is “coded” or what is “billed”?
- False Claims Act Investigations?
- Fraud and Abuse Waivers for ACOs – have any hospitals implemented through their ACO?
The participants also enjoy the cross-pollination of ideas during Open Discussion sessions. Members are encouraged to present the issues/problems they are currently facing so that fellow Members can advise one another as peer consultants. During these interactive discussions, Members share new innovations and projects-in-process using a "grand rounds" format.
All Roundtable Meetings are skillfully facilitated to avoid wandering discussions and to promote productive dialogue and the efficient use of time spent "around the table." The "think tank" approach of the Roundtable provides a very high quality educational experience one cannot easily find elsewhere.
The Roundtable Dues, Attendance and Guest Policy
Tuitions at these meetings are covered by yearly membership dues. Meeting attendance must be a high priority. A Member is strongly encouraged to send an appropriate substitute in the event he or she is unable to attend a scheduled Roundtable Meeting.
A Member may bring one guest to any Meeting, particularly an individual who is considering membership. Guest registrations are made in advance (at no additional charge)--limited to four total per Roundtable Meeting.
In order to cover the costs of the semi-annual meetings, including speaker fees, appropriate research, and operating expenses, Members pay $2,995 for two consecutive meetings.
Scheduled Meetings for The Healthcare Roundtable for General Counsel|
|March 12--14, 2017|
Ponte Vedra Inn & Club
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
September 20--22, 2017
Renaissance Nashville Hotel
"I have been a member of the General Counsel Roundtable group since 1999, and I find this group of experienced healthcare counsel to be an excellent source of information, advice, and support. We plan the agendas for our meetings so that the topics are timely and informative. No matter what federal regulatory or investigative effort is underway at any point in time, one or more of our members is informed about it and willing to share their knowledge."
--Janet Norton, VP & General Counsel, Baptist Healthcare System, Louisville, KY